Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Inside/Outside: A Look at Oil

"Day 64"

I have started sketching again. It is amazing how if you don't sketch everyday just how rusty you can get. So little time in one single day, but I am committed to sketching again. It helps that this sketchbook has a deadline will be exhibited with other artists that will travel the United States in 2011. I like to make my sketchbooks have a message. My last sketchbook was about the environment with the theme: "The End of the World". It is a tongue and cheek look at the earth's last day. It's on my website if you want to check it out.

Now my theme is Inside/Outside. I had a hard time starting, but with my frustration and anxiety over the oil spill, I decided to sketch about what was happening. So here is my sketch for today.


This is sketch called: "Day 66: They send in Hair." This was the day that grassroots organizations collected truckloads full of hair and put them in nets with pool noodles as floats with the theory that hair collects oil. I am still not sure how much it is helping, but I am still hopeful. It is the only attempt so far that is organic. I am not sure what the chemicals that BP is pouring into the Gulf is doing, but I am sure it is very damaging.



"Day 65: The Total Fatalities to Date... 13"

The real price of oil... When I sketched this I couldn't help think about all the lives that have been lost. I thought of the workmen, their families and their friends. I had this idea of work boots being the sunrise over water, but nothing can put sunlight on the Gulf just yet.

As I continue to work on the pages of my sketchbook, I hope to discover small pockets of hope. If you know of any, please let me know.


3 comments:

  1. I know of what sketchbook project you are writing. I signed up for one, but my theme is a little looser: "This is not a Sketchbook." Mine as yet has only the cover design. =)

    Thank you for sharing - I love your book so far! I, too, abhor what is happening with this oil spill. Have you seen the video involving hay and oil clean up?

    Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sketchbook project helps to keep me on a deadline. It is hard to get started, but once you do it is a lot of fun. Good luck with yours and send me a note when you do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so inspired by your sketchbook! you are able to put down on paper all the things i've been thinking about w/this oil spill. well done!

    ReplyDelete