Monday, January 30, 2012

Wynwood Green: A Day of Firsts

Wynwood known for Saturday night art walks now has a new bold green happening taking place the last Sunday of every month to bring people to Wynwood in the daytime by hosting a family friendly monthly outdoor green festival from 12pm to 7pm.

Mary Keel of 305 Green invited me to display my eco art and talk about upcycling and art as eco activism. I wasn't sure what to expect, but I thought it was a wonderful idea, so off I went.

Yesterday, after I unloaded and set up all of my art, my daughter and I were hungry. As vegetarians, it is usually hard to find food that we can eat. We met Ryan and Mike from Bocaditos who noticed us struggling with their menu and asked if they could help. When we told them that we were vegetarians they announced that anything on the menu could be made vegetarian without our food touching any pans that were touched by the meat that they were preparing. Wow! I was so impressed. They were happy to accommodate us. Not only that, when we ordered one order of fries they paid attention to the argument my daughter and I were having. I wanted spicy fries and she wanted plain. Because I was only going to have a few, I ordered the plain. When I went to pick up my order they split my single order in half, one spicy and one plain without even asking me!

To my delight, my whole day continued on the same happy path. Everyone I met was kind, gracious and willing to share their love of environment. Wynwood Green is definitely a place to check out next month.

I wish Wynwood Green continued success. Taking charge of our neighborhoods and making them healthy, green and safe takes a community of caring people. I hope you join Wynwood Green next month to be part of the solution. It starts with one voice and one single action.



Here are a few of the amazing people I met yesterday...


Ryan and Mike from Bocaditos Food Truck
Meadow and her daughter
Daniel Wills from The Armory Miami who shared
his fabulous studio and space for the event. Thanks Daniel!

Jeff Lillie (center) with his team from Marathon Bio-Diesel

Me with Mary Keel on the right
Art Friedrich (center) of Urban Oasis Project

Contenti Cupcakes


Cooking Classes for kids




Dean on the Right (one of the organizers)





Rafael Calvo of Calvo Design



Saira Jacobs from Vintaj Mahal
Onsite installation of a skateboard ramp




Cool balloon artist. 

Demonstration on how to correctly position
 your body while gardening yoga style.



No comments:

Post a Comment